Tuesday, August 10, 2010

24 Week Birth Center Visit!

Well today was our first prenatal visit at Mountain Midwifery Birth Center. I am so happy we decided to go with a birth center as opposed to a hospital birth. Of course, there is always the possibility that I will end up in the hospital, but at least it would be with the guidance of a midwife that I know will have our needs and wishes in mind. I feel a lot more relaxed already! Here is a video off of the MM website that shows the center and describes why midwifery care is so helpful. Be forewarned though, there is a labor and water-birth shown! It is not extremely detailed or graphic, but may be a bit shocking if you were just expecting an interview. I actually found it very touching, but that could also be the pregnancy hormones...


A lot of the focus at MM is on the health of the mother, which I really appreciate. They are extremely vigilant when it comes to weight gain and diet. An employee there who was getting her PhD did a study that showed that there is definitely a correlation between the weight gain of the mother and the need for interference at a hospital. I really appreciate their nudge in the direction of health and fitness.

I was told that the c-section rate there is only 6.7% which is insanely low in comparison to the national average of over 30%! I really hope that I can be one of the 93.3% that gives birth in one of those beautiful rooms.

I'm still feeling great! Here is a picture of my huge, round belly (measuring right on time though!) at 24 weeks.

Our nursery is coming along - hopefully it will be prepped and ready for baby furniture by next week! We did receive a surprise visit from the UPS man this past week. He brought us our crib  and all of our crib supplies! It was a wonderful surprise from Mike's parents. I really think this baby is truly blessed to have such amazing grandparents on both sides. I am certain that this baby will never be short on love, I can guarantee that.

We've pretty much finished registering (so we think), and had no idea the loads of things that come along with new babies. We are registered at Target, Babies R Us and Amazon.com. That way we have (almost) everything covered! I am working on building a cloth diaper collection, which has already started out pretty well with the help of hand-me-downs from cloth-using friends (thanks Melissa and Sarah!). I am now just shopping for one-size diapers, buying one here and there as to not break the bank too hard. And our clothing collection is already more than enough (thanks Summar!) so we are really on our way to being ready for this lil guy!

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely place.
    and I love at the end when she says, "the birth center was our birth plan."

    ps.... you are SO going to do this!! and love every minute of it (well, maybe not every ;))

    ReplyDelete